Monday, March 17, 2008

Campbell, D (2001). Can the digital divide be contained?. International Labour Review, [140 (2)], Retrieved March 12, 2008, from http://www.geog.psu.edu/courses/geog497b/Readings/Campbell--International%20Digital%20Divide.pdf


The article link shown above, “Can the digital divide be contained?”, by Duncan Campbell, looks at the digital divide across countries, such as developed versus developing countries. Although I am focusing more on the divide between people of different socio economic status, I still felt that Campbell’s article was interesting and very important. In order to understand the digital divide on a smaller scale, I believe that it helps to see if from a larger scale as well.
Although this article tells a lot of information that I don’t particularly feel is important to my quest of better understanding the digital divide among my own students, I do feel that the first part of his article was very interesting and relevant. He focuses a lot on the internet use and it’s effects in the United States, versus other countries. Seeing the big pictures really helped me to see it on a smaller scale as well. When looking at the graph posted on pg. 120, "Estimated number of internet users..." (Campbell, 2001, p.120), you can see the growth of internet users in the U.S. from 99 to 00. However, you can also see the huge divide between the numbers in the U.S. and the numbers in other countries. This was astounding to me! I knew the U.S. was up there, but I wasn’t aware of by how much they were up there! I couldn’t believe it.
What struck home with me is the fact that Africa has made hardly any gains from 1999 to 2000. What does this have to do with the divide on a smaller scale. Well, this made me think about my district, the surrounding town, and Cincinnati, as it’s own little “world”. You have the higher income areas around here that are like the United States. They are well developed, have laptops in every classroom, for every student, and have all the latest technological advances. Then, you have rural areas like Bethel (where I teach), and others, who are the “Africa” of the group. We have some technology, but it hasn’t grown very much in the five years I’ve been here. Also, we have nothing compared to the wealthier districts.
I really feel that all the principals that apply to the digital divide across the world, really apply in the same fashion to the digital divide right here where I live. I have never thought about it in this sense before. Very interesting!
My question now is, what steps are we taking to help the technologically undeveloped countries advance? And can we use those same steps on a smaller scale in rural districts, such as Bethel?

No comments: