Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Startling Statistics

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/06/america-the-growing-digital-divide/

Riley, D (2007, May 6). [Weblog] America: The growing digital divide. TechCrunch. Retrieved March 11, 2005, from http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/06/america-the-growing-digital-divide/

Yesterday I was talking about how the lack of computer use in the classroom is detrimental to our students, especially those who don't have computer access at home. To stay on that same track, I decided to share the blog link posted above, "America: The Growing Digital Divide," by Duncan Riley. This blog shares some very startling statistics about the technology use in America. "31% of Americans are considered to be 'Elite Tech Users', where as 49% have few tech assets, either engaging with the online world only on occasion, or not at all" (Riley, 2007).

I was truly shocked by these numbers! I knew there were people out there that didn't use the internet as much as others, but I never would have guessed that number was as high as 49%!

This blog also has a great link to a study done by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, which shows even more astonishing statistics, if you are interested in seeing them.

I have so many questions running through my mind right now, and it's really hard for me to grasp the fact that so few people take advantage of the great resources we have available to use through the use of the internet. Is the lack of use contributed to age? Or to ability level? Or are people just not interested and feel they are fine the way the are? What percentage of that 49% is due to factors such as lack of technology resources? Hopefully, throughout my journey on this blog, I will find answers to these questions!

2 comments:

Annette said...

Jenn,
I think my jaw dropped when I read your percentages. Are you sure that it wasn't a typo? Just kidding! That seems to be pretty current data..2007.
I think it would be helpful to see those numbers broken down by groups such as age, ability level, etc. You have valid questions, keep us posted if you find any evidence to explain.
Annette

Sabrina said...

Wow! That is amazing! I'm with you...I knew there were people out there that use it more/less than other, but would never have guessed the percentage to be SOO HIGH! I feel like I'm on-line a lot with taking these courses, but even with the amount of time I spend on-line I always felt that everyone else was on there more than I am. With all the news and commercials with .com this and download that I felt like I was behind. Those numbers do at least make ME feel better about my own knowledge...lol!!I look forward to you finding out the answers to those questions. Thanks for the tip about the article on vocabulary!
Sabrina :o)